If you want to get a taste of the culinary heritage of Canada (and its European settlers), you should check out Restaurant Sinclair Old Montreal. Housed in the garden of Le Hotel St-Sulpice, this elegant eatery features is home to some of the most daring and experienced chefs in the world. With several prix fixe menus to choose from (some with an additional wine pairing menu), there is something for everyone, any time of the day, and any time of the year.
Here is a sample menu: the “MTL a Table” menu for 2016. Surely, the “MTL a Table” menu they will develop for the 2017 year will offer similar—and probably even better—course selections.
COURSE 1 (Appetizers):
Some dishes in the first course carry an additional charge.
- Fingerling potato and diced wild mushroom cappuccino served with a black truffle emulsion—2014 Contes Nicolas de Lorgeril L’Orangeraie Carcassonne Merlot-Syrah
- An arancini of Quebec duck confit, pureed carrot Nantasies, and fine herbs—2012 Proprietaire Gerard Bertrand La Sauvageonne Syrah-Grenache Languedoc
- Pressed Atlantic crab served with citrus along with a spicy mayo and a curry crumble—2015 Domaine Paul Mas Vignes de Nicole
- Quebec foie gras served with marbled chocolate, a clementine chutney and bread—2015 Domaine des Freres Costel Sans Facon Voignier Languedoc Chardonnay
COURSE 2 (Main Dish):
Similarly, some dishes in the second course carry an additional charge.
- Medallions of Quebec pork served with stuffed wild mushrooms and erase of Yukon Gold potatoes and white truffle oil—2014 Vignoble laurent Miquel Saint-CHinian Vieilles Vignes
- Pan-seared Canadian hanger steak with a chiffon of caramelized turnips and roasted seasonal vegetables served with a Madagascar pepper sauce—2014 Chateua Pennautier Comte Nicolas de Lorgeril Cabardes Cab-Merlot-Grenache-Syrah
- pan-seared Icelandic steelhead trout served with a vanilla-flavored cream of cauliflower and a Tonka bean emulsion—2014 Chateua de L’Hospitalet Proprietaire Gerard Bertrand Chardonnay Reserve Speciale
- A selection of roasted scampi served with a combawa-flavored Arborio rice risotto and a fresh ginger emulsion—2015 Domaine les Salices Proprietaire Francois Lurton Vignier Vayres
- Sliced, pan-seared scallops with chorizo served with a celery puree and a black cardamom emulsion—2015 Marius Proprietaire Michel Chapoutier Vermentino-Terret Tain
COURSE 3 (dessert):
Many Sinclair Restaurant prix fixe menus only offer a single dessert selection, so this is actually a real treat:
- Verrine of the moment (chef’s choice)
- Madagasca vanilla Bavarians (Madeleine biscuits structured with strawberries)